Memorial day preparation + a recipe to keep you in the clear
Memorial day is upon us beauty bellies, and it has always been a favorite! The summer sun is rising, energy levels are picking up, and nothing sounds better than a spicy new jumpsuit, cold cocktail in hand and healthy dish shared with friends. Holidays are our true test. We must enjoy ourselves but stay rooted in what holds true to our health + fitness + spiritual goals. The stronger you stand, the brighter you shine. Proper amounts of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, health fats, liver healing herbs are essential even when celebrating. Lets hijack our bodies and pair all of our favorite holidays with grounding cocktails + intestinal clearing parties in the form of colorful, plant-based soul food.
Ive included a few mouth watering photos to help ignite a feeling you might get after eating these delicious rolls. Ive also included an embarrassing model photo that was taken of me by the amazing Keith Ketchum back in the fall. I thought I'd include it because this is truly how I feel about memorial day weekend. Fierce + ready to rumble + spicy. The face says it all. NO shame.
Defining high-vibrational living is multifaceted. And for social butterflies such as myself, I must figure out a way to include some vino + vodka + naan bread + coffee no matter how low vibe they are once they enter the body. So Ive paired all of my vices with my new favorite magic powders + foods to bring you an offering worth sharing at your memorial day weekend party. And what better weekend to celebrate the reality of our life than this weekend. Even though I live in Hawaii, there is something to be said about the end of May. The outside air truly feels electric. Hello, summer. Hello longer beach days. Hello sweatier Mysore practices. Hello cooling fruits + cold cocktails.
High vibes on demand.
I haven't decided my plans this weekend, but as long as they include lots of sun + coconut oil + green foods + yoga + herbal cocktails + spring water + salt water + sleep + love I will be a happy camper. Boat day wouldn't be bad either, but we shall see. I think its in the works, fingers crossed.
Food is imperative though this holiday, and I hope you'll join me as I high-vibe my high tail into the weekend. Here Ive provided you with a well-rounded plant based dish loaded with antioxidants, skin plumping healthy fat, just enough salt, and minerals such as selenium and iodine from healthy sea vegetables like nori. Creamed quinoa is also one of my new favorite dishes and truly takes quinoa to the next level. Add pistachios + avocado? HEY.
creamed quinoa spring rolls with mermaid sauce
1 cup rinsed quinoa
1 cup filtered water
1 cup nori flakes
1 cup full fat canned coconut milk
1/4 cup pistachios
4 boiled beets (sliced into 1 inch strips)
1 small cucumber slivered thinly
1 avocado slivered thinly
Spring rolls for wrapping
sesame seeds for rolling ( 1/2 cup or so)
2 T tahini
1/2 cup cashews
1.5 tsp chlorella
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons liquid aminos
micro greens for topping (optional)
- First things first, get the quinoa going. Combine water, quinoa, coconut milk, and 1 tsp sea salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a vigorous boil, cover, and simmer on low for 10 minutes or until fluffy. Fold in nori flakes + pistachios when finished cooking and cover again to keep warm.
- Dip a dry spring roll paper in a deep bowl of warm water for 10 seconds, remove from water and lay flat on a cutting board.
- In THIS order, layer beet slices, then avocado, then cucumber, then quinoa in the middle of the paper.
- Carefully peel the edge of the now soft, pliable paper off the cutting board and begin to wrap up the goodness just as if you were wrapping up a burrito!
- Repeat steps 2-4 for the remaining ingredients. This makes a LOT of rolls.
- Once you have rolled it all up, its time to roll in the calcium-rich sesame seeds.
- Pour your cup or so of sesame seeds in a shallow salad bowl of some sort and roll back and forth until you have about a tablespoon worth of seed on each roll. Continue to do this until all rolls are coated.
- To make the mermaid dressing, combine all ingredients in your VitaMix or high powered blender until dates and cashews are nice and creamed. Spoon out into a cute dipping cup and smile because you just put chlorella in something that tastes delicious!
These are tedious, but good things take time. Always remember that!
Enjoy your weekend! I will be shutting off for the next 4 days. Time to unwind or else i may develop an allergy to technology!